Transportation in current scenario holds a very big position in the service sector. Transportation of goods from one place to another is a standard part of businesses. The transportation sector is one of the most significant sectors in the world that has millions of employees, metric tons of goods to be transported, millions of vehicles, cargos, and airplanes. The sector, therefore, requires proper regulation in regulating the transportation of dangerous goods.
What are Dangerous Goods?
Dangerous goods are those goods that are qualified in certain norms to be the possible threat to the commoners while they are transported from one place to another. These product s can be in solid, liquid and gas state. Dangerous goods are decided by the government agencies by measuring the level of danger they pose. Chemical substances, toxic minerals, nuclear wastes or products, inflammable goods, radioactive goods, choking goods, oxidizing goods, corrosive goods, asphyxiating and dangerous goods can be termed as dangerous goods.
How is a Good Decided whether it is Hazardous or Not?
Dangerous goods are decided on the level of damage they can result to the surrounding beings, animals, organisms, the environment, and society. The job to determine what good is hazardous and which one is not is in the hands of the government bodies of respective countries. There is proper research done on every good to decide their type. The government agencies put these products in the special category, and their transportation is different from the rest of the goods.
These goods are carried in special transports with extra caution. The easiest way to figure out a hazardous good transport vehicle is to spot a sign of danger mentioned on the transporting vehicle. There are proper indications made to communicate the other people or passengers sharing the same route.
Risks Involved in a Hazardous Goods Transportation:
Travelling with hazardous goods can be very dangerous. Any mishap may lead to the dangerous situation where not only your life but the lives of people surrounding you are also in danger. Governments have made certain norms for transporting such goods. There should be proper checking before the goods are transported. Some of the norms are:
- The driver transporting the good must have training in such field, and an appropriate certification must be done before issuing him the license to drive.
- The driver should be equipped with emergency equipment to deal with any emergency situation and he must know how to use it.
- The person accompanying the driver should be an expert in managing emergency situations and know curbing the situation in case of an emergency.
- The transport vehicle must have proper clearance to be on the road.
- The transport vehicle should be in proper condition, and the area containing the hazardous good should be in fine condition.
- There should be proper contact between the transport vehicle and the quick response team in case of emergency.
- Responsibilities must be fixed in case of any mishap.
- The transport agency, driver, good holder should follow all the rules mentioned.
Despite this, there are cases where unfortunate incidents take place and that are so horrible that one cannot even compensate later.
An incident that happened, where 153 burned alive while collecting fuel from an overturned oil tanker. The visuals of the accident were horrible and depressing. 140 people were injured in the incident, and the situation was so worse that one could easily see the burned corpse in the fields in a row. Similar incidents have happened over the years all around the world due to some mistakes and carelessness. These hazardous goods are dangerous without imagination. It is better to take all necessary precautions in transporting hazardous goods.