Adding masala to a variety of drinks is a forte of Indians. Two of the popular drinks spiked with tangy Indian masala are Masala Coke and Masala tea.
Masala coke and masala tea are popular drink recipes in Hindi. Masala coke, for instance is a very popular Indian drink, available in juice shops of Mumbai and Bangalore. Residents and tourists can sample this unique fizzy drink, in the alley ways of Indian cities.
You will be able to find different variations of Masala coke in the form of Masala Sprite, Masala Pepsi, Masala Thumbs up, lemon cola, lemon soda, lemon ginger soda etc in the menu of street food shops.
Recipe of Masala coke is quite simple and made with ingredients which are easily available. It can be prepared quickly in minutes by adding a generous sprinkle of traditional Indian masala powder to Pepsi or Coke. While street food vendors are adept at preparing the drink, you can even prepare it at home.
Masala coke tastes like Jal Jeera with fizz of coke. If you want to avoid Coke or Pepsi, you can make the drink with plain soda water and drink it as Masala soda. You can try serving this delicious drink at the next party.
Here is the recipe for Masala Coke:
- Coke/ Pepsi/ Sprite/ Thumbs up- can of 300 ml
- Black salt-1/4 tsp
- Chat Masala powder-1/2 tsp
- Ajwain powder- (optional)-small pinch
- Roasted cumin powder-1/4 tsp
- Pepper powder-1/4 tsp
- Mint leaves- for garnishing
- Lemon juice- a few drops
- Ice cubes- to serve.
- Add all spices and lime juice in a tall serving glass
- Add coke slowly till 1/3 rd glass and wait for froth to settle. Mix with spoon. Add some more for another 1/3 glass and combine well.
- Repeat the procedure till the glass is full. Check taste. If required, add more pepper, chat masala, black salt and lemon juice as per your taste. Garnish with mint and serve with ice cubes.
- Add masala as per taste
- Vary coke with Pepsi/ Sprite/Club soda
- You can substitute masala powder with Jal Jeera powder.
Masala Tea is another popular Masala drink. It can make you energized and pepped up. Here is a recipe for traditional Indian Masala tea:
Serves- 3 -4cups
- Cloves- 4 whole
- Cardamom pods-2
- Cinnamon stick- 1 (broken to pieces)
- Water- 3 cups
- Ground ginger-1/4 tsp
- Black pepper (freshly ground)- 1/8 tsp
- Milk-1/2 cup
- Granulated sugar- 2tbsp
- Black tea-2 tbsp
- Crush cardamom, cloves and cinnamon in a mortar or use a coffee grinder
- Keep crushed spices in a saucepan, add pepper, ginger, water and allow to boil.
- Remove the pan from heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes
- Add sugar and milk to pan and allow to boil.
- Remove from heat and add tea.
- Cover and keep for 3 minutes
- Stir the tea and strain the mix to fill tea cups
These are the recipes for Masala drinks like Masala Coke and Masala tea. They are versions of masala cold drink recipe in Hindi and Masala hot drink recipe.